Sunday, January 30, 2011

Patrizia's Simple Risotto

I will be the first to admit that Risotto scared me.  After watching countless episodes of Gordon Ramsey's Hells Kitchen who wouldn't be? But when you look at it, Risotto is simply rice and a liquid (I mainly use Chicken Broth) with a few little extras. So, I figured I would give a shot and once I started I haven't been able to stop!
Risotto should be firm, but not crunchy - I guess you can say Al-dente.  It also shouldn't stick or clump together.  In my recipe I use bouillon cubes to make my own chicken broth.  I've made it using canned chicken broth and I didn't really care for it...it tasted to chicken-y.  Anyway... It's not as hard as you think...trust me!
  • 6 cups of water
  • 2 1/2 Chicken flavored bouillon cubes
  • 1 1/2 Cups of Arborio rice
  • 1/2 Vidalia or Sweet Onion finely diced
  • Butter
  • Olive Oil
  • 5 Quart Saute Pan
  1. Add bouillon cubes to 6 cups of water to make chicken broth, boil and remove from heat
  2. Heat 3 Tbsps. (or so) of butter and oil in saute pan
  3. Add chopped onion and cook till translucent
  4. Add Arborio rice to the pan and saute until SOME of the rice turns light brown - you don't want to brown all the rice..once you see a few pieces turning light brown move on to step 5
  5. Now the fun part...add 1 cup of your chicken broth to your rice and stir until the broth is absorbed, then add another cup and stir...you will repeat this process at least 5 times.  
  6. Risotto cannot be left unattended - if the liquid gets absorbed and you aren't there to add more liquid it can easily scorch
  7. Now that you are about 5 cups in it's time to taste it.  Your risotto should not be to thick or starchy (browning it properly will help alleviate that)
  8. I am usually done after 5 cups of broth - however I make 6 cups just in case it needs a little more liquid
  9. If you taste it and find that it's still a little crunchy and the liquid has been absorbed, add a little more broth - about 1/2 cup at a time
  10. I guess this is where it can get tricky - but once you get the hang of it you can eyeball it and 'just know' when it's done
  11. Remove your risotto from heat - you can now add a little grated Parmesan cheese if you'd like.  In this recipe I do not.  I have a few other variations that I make - Mushroom, Shrimp, and Cheesy Parmesan  to name a few - You'll have to wait for those :-)

2 comments:

  1. Everything was delicious I must say and not just because I married her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...I'm going to give it a try Patrizia! And while I'm at it I will take full credit for you starting a blog since I asked you about making risotto. ;-) Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete