Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sicilian Citrus Salad

This salad brings back so many great memories!  My mother makes this in the summer when the oranges are nice and sweet.  Now, I've had this during my trips to Sicily and well, you just can't compare.  The oranges are sweeter, the oil is tastier and the oregano - well don't get me started.  I still use oregano that we bring over from Sicily.  What I've found in stores cannot compare.  There are a few variations you can make..like using blood oranges or adding lemons.

  • 6-8 Ripe oranges
  • Olive Oil (not extra virgin)*
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Sugar
  • Water
  • Oregano
  1. Peel & Segment Oranges - you can also peel and quarter them if you don't want to segment
  2. In a bowl, add oranges, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, a pinch of sugar and a little bit of water (I'd say about 2 Tbsp.)
  3. Variation - Meyer lemons make a very welcome addition to this.  You would peel and segment the lemon and either add them in their entirety or you could just squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the oranges.

* I suggest using regular Olive Oil since you don't want to over power the taste of the oranges by using Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  The darker/greener the oil..the stronger the taste is.

No comments:

Post a Comment