Monday, January 31, 2011

Nonna's Pastina

As a child my mother used to make us the most delightful, yet SUPER easy pastina.   You ask 50 different people how they make their pastina, and you'll get about 50 different answers.  If I could I would bottle my mom's up and sell it - not that it's THAT amazing..but to me and my kids it is.  When we go visit nonna, my kids will ask for pastina and of course I always make sure she makes enough for me too.  I make her recipe at home...but it never comes out quite like nonna's.
  • 5 cups of water
  • 1 Large tomato or 2 smaller tomatoes such as plum tomato
  • 1/2 Sweet onion
  • 1/2 Celery stalk
  • Small handful of parsley
  • 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
  • Salt 
  • Pepper
  • Pastina
  • Grated Parmesan Cheese
  1. In a small sauce pan add all the ingredients except pastina and parmesan cheese
  2. Bring the ingredients to a boil
  3. Let boil for at least 25 minutes - all the vegetables should be cooked through and falling apart (I've let it go for almost 45 minutes once...it can't hurt it)
  4. Remove vegetables from sauce pan and add about 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup pastina (I had a little more pastina since my kids love the pastina)
  5. Cook pastina for about 5 minutes and remove from heat
  6. Serve with a little grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top

No comments:

Post a Comment