Monday, March 21, 2011

Easy Peasy Egg Drop Soup

My daughter had her tonsils and adenoids removed about 2 weeks ago. One of the foods on the 'list' was Chinese Egg Drop Soup.  Now I remember my mother making me something similar when we were younger.  But we called it Stracciatella Soup.  Loosely translated Stracciatella means torn or shredded. The threads of cooked egg in the soup are reminiscent of 'torn or shredded' rags.  My mom made it using Campbells Chicken Soup.. remember the ones with the tiny cut up noodles? She would just scramble an egg in it as it boiled - now that is SUPER easy!

This recipe also served double duty since I took part in another cooking challenge.  Christina from the blog "Tales from the Mad Men Kitchen" was looking for people to take part in her Chinese take out challenge.

Anyway, I made this for my daughter in hopes she would eat something to help her feel better. I didn't make it using any thickeners like corn starch.  I made it just like my mom did but using homemade broth.
  • 4 cups of chicken broth (I usually make my own broth then freeze it into smaller portions.  You can also use store bought chicken broth or make some using water and a bouillon cube)
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/4 cup pastina or cut up spaghetti (optional)
  1. Bring the broth to a low boil
  2. Pour in 1 scrambled egg SLOWLY!  You can also use a fork to drop in threads of egg. DO NOT STIR
  3. Once you've poured the egg in wait about a minute then remove from heat - you can give it one good stir
  4. You don't want to over-stir 

There..how easy is that?  Tasty!!!

2 comments:

  1. Did she like it? How's she feeling?
    Thanks for making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She ate some the first day I made it. The next time I made it I added some rice to help make it a little heartier and she didn't want it.

    ReplyDelete