Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pasta Carbonara

Pasta with Bacon and Eggs...so it's like getting breakfast for dinner. This dish was a staple at my family table.  My mom made this about once a month and my brothers & I would always fight for the bacon. There are a few variations out there..like adding peas to it, using cream or serving it using only egg yolk. It is SO easy - you only need a few ingredients. It's also a quick meal, perfect for a weeknight.
  • 1 lb. Spaghetti
  • 1 package of bacon
  • 3 Eggs
  • Milk or Heavy Cream
  • Parmesan Cheese
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  1. Take bacon out of package and slice it into tiny pieces - I don't separate the pieces..just slice it while it's whole
  2. While water for spaghetti is boiling, fry the bacon pieces - I like them super crispy, but you can cook them to your liking in a heavy saute pan (big enough to add a pound of spaghetti later)
  3. Once the bacon is done, remove from heat and set aside - do not drain the oil
  4. Beat the eggs in a small bowl, add salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese and a little bit of milk or heavy cream (I eyeball the cheese and milk or cream..but about 2-3 tablespoons of each) and set aside
  5. When the pasta is cooked, add it to the pan with the bacon in it and return to medium heat - reserve the pasta water
  6. Stir the bacon and pasta and slowly add in your beaten egg mixture
  7. Continue to stir the egg so that it cooks - now how you serve it is up to you.  Some people like it more on the runny side, I do not.  I like my eggs cooked through
  8. Serve with some fresh ground pepper

*If it seems too dry to you, add some of the reserved cooking water, a little at a time.  This also doesn't keep well so serve & enjoy right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment