Thursday, February 10, 2011

Aunt Janet's Coffee Cake

I was so excited when Janet said I could make and blog her recipe for Coffee Cake.  Janet married my cousin a little over a year ago. She is not my aunt..but my kids call her Aunt Janet, my aunt - her mother in law, calls her Janetta and my mother calls her Jen or Janetta.  Who knew when Aunt Janet joined the family we would gain a family baker.  Not one family gathering goes by without some homemade dessert, cookie, pie, etc...from Aunt Janet. This coffee cake is phenomenal!  I suggested that Aunt Janet add a banana to this..but she quickly nixed that idea.  I had banana's..but stuck with the original recipe, this time.

Cinnamon Mixture
  • 1/2 cup Mini chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup Chopped walnuts
  • 2 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
Cake
  • 2 sticks of butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups Sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 pint sour cream
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the Cinnamon Mixture and set aside
  3. In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda - stir to mix
  4. In large bowl or Kitchen Aide mixer, cream butter
  5. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar to the butter
  6. Add eggs, one at a time making sure each is incorporated
  7. Add Vanilla
  8. Add sour cream - alternating with flour mixture (so a little sour cream, a little flour, then some more sour cream, then flour, continue till you have added them both)
  9. Pour half dough in a greased tube pan (I did not have a tube pan so I used a well greased bundt pan)
  10. Sprinkle 1/2 your cinnamon mixture on top
  11. Pour the other half of the dough on top (I did this in smaller spoonfuls and then spread it - the dough is thick and a little sticky)
  12. Top with remaining cinnamon mixture
  13. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean


No comments:

Post a Comment