Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chicken Cordon 'Azzurro'

I remember reading a cook book my mom had gotten in the mail.  She got 2, a blue one that was French and a red one that was Italian.  These were the only ones she owned but never used.  I remember looking through those books over and over.  In the French cookbook there was a recipe for chicken cordon bleu.  I remember thinking - yum that looks SO good...maybe that is where my cooking bug came from???  Well, years later I made it..but used provolone cheese since I am not a fan of swiss. It's easy and very tasty!  I served it with 2 of my favorite weeknight shortcuts - Uncle Ben's Rice and Steamed Broccoli with some olive oil and lemon drizzled on top (forgot the brand - but the one you steam in the bag). 
  • 4 Thin Sliced Chicken Cutlets
  • 8 pieces of ham
  • 8 pieces of provolone cheese
  • Seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg
  • Salt 
  • Pepper
  • Olive Oil
  • Butter
  • Toothpicks
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Pound your chicken cutlets to make them a little thinner
  3. Season the cutlets with a little salt and pepper
  4. Add 2 slices of ham, then 2 slices of cheese on top of each cutlet
  5. Roll the cutlet - if one end is more narrow, start with that end first
  6. Secure the roll with toothpicks - I usually use 4 (try to use the same amount for each roll - so you know how many toothpicks you have to pull out!)
  7. Continue with the remaining cutlets
  8. In a small bowl beat one egg
  9. Dip each roll in the beaten egg and then roll it in the seasoned breadcrumbs
  10. In a large heated saute pan, add olive oil
  11. Once the oil is nice & hot - add the chicken
  12. Brown each side - then remove from heat, you will continue to cook in the oven
  13. Place all 4 rolls in an oven safe dish and cook in the oven for about 25 minutes 



1 comment:

  1. I am going to ask that you add the amount of Weight Watchers points to all your recipes now. :)

    ReplyDelete