Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pasta con Ricotta e Piselli

Translated - Pasta with Ricotta & Peas
EXTREMELY SIMPLE yet so tasty! Now I used to hate peas...I would only eat them frozen, right out of the box from the freezer. But once my mom cooked them..no way was I eating them.  Then, one day when I was much older I tied them ..and guess what - yes I liked them!  They were so sweet and delicious.  I couldn't believe what I was missing all this time!  This recipe is so simple and rustic.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
  • 1 Box of Frozen Peas (never ever use canned peas)
  • 1 small onion or 1/2 large onion diced
  • 1 pint Ricotta Cheese
  • 1 lb small pasta such as Ditalini
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  1. In a heated sauce pan drizzle enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan
  2. Add onions, salt and pepper and saute until golden brown
  3. Add peas and a little more pepper
  4. Add approx. 1/2 cup of water and simmer on low for about 20 minutes being careful that you don't  scorch the pan (check on it periodically to see if it needs more water)
  5. Cover and set pan aside
  6. Prepare your pasta according to package instructions, drain reserving 1/2 the liquid
  7. Pour your pasta into a large serving bowl 
  8. Stir in the peas and a little bit of water so as not to dry out the pasta - you will have to eyeball this - you want to have enough liquid to keep everything moist but not so much that it's swimming in water
  9. I usually keep a small bowl of reserved pasta water on the table so you can add more if needed 
  10. Serve with a dollop of ricotta cheese

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good! I don't think I've ever had this--shocking I know! But it just says "comfort food" to me. And yes I still love ricotta sandwiches! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete