Saturday, February 19, 2011

Eggplant Parm Stackers

I don't like Eggplant Parmesan....there I said it. I don't like Eggplant and I don't like foods that are mushy - unless it's a food that is suppose to be mushy..like bananas. But...my husband likes it.  So I thought 1.  I have to find a way to make individual servings and 2.  Find a way to make eggplant parm so that the eggplant wasn't as mushy.  I think I succeeded with my eggplant parm stackers!  I bake them using Panko - I think this helps in keeping them crispy and not as mushy!  Try these for yourselves...SO easy and pretty good - this coming from someone who isn't a fan of eggplant!
  • Eggplant
  • Sauce - I make my own
  • Ricotta Cheese
  • Mozzarella Cheese
  • 2 Eggs
  • Panko
  • 2 Tbsp. Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped Parsley
  • 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
  • Cooking Spray
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Eggplant
  1. Slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices - I keep the skins on, this is a personal preference..you can also peel
  2. In a large bowl, soak the eggplant in salted water
  3. Soak for about 5 minutes then remove - this will help remove some of the bitterness
  4. Lay the eggplant down on a tea towel and let them dry
  5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
  6. In a bowl scramble the eggs together - you will now get ready to bread the eggplant
  7. In a separate bowl combine your Panko breadcrumbs, chopped parsley, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese (they do make Italian Seasoned Panko breadcrumbs...but I like to make my own)
  8. One by one, dip the eggplant into the egg mixture making sure you remove excess egg, then coat in Panko set aside until you have breaded all your eggplant
  9. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
  10. Place the eggplant slices on the baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes - 10 minutes on each side
  11. When done, place them aside.

Stacking your Eggplant
  1. In a baking dish, aluminum pan, etc..spoon in enough tomato sauce to coat the bottom
  2. Place about 6 slices of eggplant down
  3. Layer with:
    • A spoonful of ricotta cheese
    • A spoonful of sauce
    • 1 slice of mozzarella cheese
  4. Add your next slice of eggplant and then add another layer of ricotta cheese, sauce and top with a slice of mozzarella cheese
  5. This completes your stack - now finish the rest.  I usually get about 10 stacks with a normal size Eggplant
  6. Before placing in the oven - spoon some sauce over the top
  7. Cook for about 20 minutes on 350 degrees or until cheese is nicely melted



No comments:

Post a Comment