Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Nonna's Simple Seasoned Bread

My earliest memory of this bread was during one of our trips to visit my nonna in Sicily.  Her neighbor, Vita, had a huge cement oven - in her home.  Yes..this thing is HUGE and in her home - it's purpose was making bread.  The smell of that bread, lets just say heaven.  I remember Vita bringing over some fresh HOT bread.  My mom sliced it open, drizzled some Extra Virgin Olive Oil on it, salted it and sprinkled with oregano.  I cannot begin to give you enough adjectives to describe how AMAZING it tasted.

My mom makes this bread alot..and it gets devoured before dinner is even served. She will usually make it using a long loaf of bakery quality (Calandra's, Anthony & Sons, etc.) French bread. Now, we don't have a big cement oven or homemade olive oil, but I do have some of my grandmother's oregano!  I enjoy making this from time to time - goes perfect with Pasta & Soup!

  • Loaf of bakery quality French bread (can also use individual slices of panella bread)
  • Oregano
  • Salt
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  1. Place bread in pre-heated oven
  2. Remove bread once the bread gets nice and toasted - about 5-7 minutes
  3. While bread is still hot, slice the bread down the middle (I usually place a dishtowel over the bread as I slice)
  4. Drizzle Olive Oil on both sides of the bread
  5. Sprinkle with Salt and Oregano (I prefer mine extra salty!)
  6. Bring pieces of bread together and press down
  7. Cut into smaller serving pieces
  8. Enjoy!


If you make this using sliced panella bread, you can just put the bread in your toaster, toast and season

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmm...my mom makes her own bread & makes this as well. It's SOOO good!

    ReplyDelete